[scribus] fixing the absent documentation in Fedora (23)

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Thu Dec 17 01:09:44 UTC 2015

The cure for this malady is actually not very difficult. This will
probably work for earlier versions of Fedora, since I doubt their file
structure has changed. It requires no programming skills. It's only a
matter of getting the documentation then copying it to the proper place
(where you need root permission).

The current version of Scribus is 1.4.5 (I think it's still 1.4.4 in
Fedora 21). Incidentally, I skipped over Fedora 22 after spending a
weekend upgrading from 21, finding there was a screw up with the Intel
video driver making most onscreen text gibberish, then downgrading back
to 21. It seemed that they eventually fixed it, but after using up a
weekend with the experience once, I decided to hold out for 23.

Where the documentation is supposed to be is in /usr/share/doc/scribus/

Getting the documentation:

You could go to scribus.net and download the source, but I think it may
be easier to just use subversion.
You may need to install subversion on your system.
After you've done that, in a terminal make a directory inside your home
directory with 'mkdir scribus14x'

Now type the following command:
svn co svn://scribus.net/branches/Version14x/Scribus scribus14x

It will take a while to download all the parts.
Once that is finished, go to the directory scribus14x/scribus/doc
Inside this you will find the folders for the documentation. 'en', 'de',
and 'it' are the most complete in their respective language.

Using su or sudo (since you need root permission), next
cp -a en /usr/share/doc/scribus/

Add other folders as you desire by repeating the process. Now when you
start up Scribus, you should have the full documentation.

Greg