[scribus] Grayscale palette

Rolf-Werner Eilert eilert-sprachen at t-online.de
Thu Dec 3 08:10:20 UTC 2015

Am 03.12.2015 07:06, schrieb "Christoph Schäfer":
>> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 02. Dezember 2015 um 16:33 Uhr
>> Von: "Rolf-Werner Eilert" <eilert-sprachen at t-online.de>
>> An: scribus at lists.scribus.net
>> Betreff: Re: [scribus] Grayscale palette

>>> Hi Barry,
>>>
>>> You don't need a special consultant, because we thoroughly documented the whole palette and ICC stuff in the Online Help (available vie F1 or Help > Scribus Manual).
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Christoph
>>>

>> Being curious about this, I browsed the list and the online help, but I
>> only found a couple of brief tables telling something in general about
>> the origin of the palettes.
>>
>> Maybe a more elaborated dialog with a more in-depth introduction to each
>> palette and its specialties might be helpful for "beginners"? Or
>> something like that on the website?
>>
>> Regards
>> Rolf
>>

> Hi Rolf,
>
> Please tell us what kind of additional information you need.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, we included all necessary information, because you'll only use the majority of those palettes if you *have* to use them. E.g., if you have to design signage in France, you'll probably have to use the AFNOR palette; if you have to produce print layouts for the Dutch government, you might be forced to use the Rijksoverheid palette etc. In other cases, you may decide to use a palette because an affordable good colour reference is available (e.g. Galaxy Gauge). In addition, we have added palettes produced by creative professionals who thought they could put into good use by other creatives. You don't need any guidance on the latter, because you have to decide yourself whether they suit your creative needs and your taste.

Ok, Christoph, I see your point. What I had in the back of my head was
actually something like a preview, or kind of examples or iconized "core
palette" giving a broad impression of the most important hues in the
palette. In its current state, the dialog is text-based and doesn't give
any optical hint of the palettes. I have to activate/load a palette
before I can see what it contains.

For the AFNOR etc. palettes, you are right - you need it, so you know
you want it. But maybe I just want to load some palette that fits my
needs - and why shouldn't it be AFNOR? As a beginner, however, I do not
want to load each palette to look at their colours, there should be some
kind of preview.

> In the future, Scribus will make several hundred more special-purpose colour palettes available for download via its new Resource Manager, from car finish to wall paints.
>

> HTH
>
> Christoph

Then it would be nice when the Resource Manager had this feature, do you
agree?

Regards
Rolf