[scribus] compiling 1.5.1

John Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Fri Aug 21 20:07:16 UTC 2015

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 21:06:25 +0200
Craig Bradney <cbradney at scribus.info> wrote:

> It's not soon to be 1.6.0.
>
> Ignore the png errors, they are meant to be
> there while the icon set is completed.
>
> I don't remember the current svn version but
> commits were made last night.
>
> Craig
>

> > On 21 Aug 2015, at 20:29, John Culleton
> > <John at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> >
> > I use jluc's script to compile 1.51 (soon to
> > be 1.6.0!) Two anomalies appear. First after
> > compiling via the script when I use the
> > result I get a fistful of messages concerning
> > png files not found. However the program runs
> > ok with pngs in place. One of the pngs
> > allegedly not found is the splash screen.
> >
> > Second the splash screen never changes. It
> > always claims to be version 20339 released on
> > July 25, 2015.
> >
> > One of the many virtues of Jluc's script is
> > that alterations to fit individual needs are
> > segregated at the top. So here is my prologue
> > taken from the script that I run (ignore word
> > wraparounds by my mail program):
> > --------------------------
> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > # maksvn script creates folders for out of
> > source build # has command line options for
> > really clean #build, creating diffs and for
> > svn update # has various inline options to
> > EDIT to fit your environnement
> >
> > # sourcepath, qt library and destination
> > folders can be set to user conveninence #
> > Note :sourcepath will later contain both the
> > 'svn' subfolder # and the 'build' subfolder
> > #('svn' receives svn repo clone, 'build'
> > receive build objects)
> >
> > # Set to user convenience
> > sourcepath=/usr/local/src/s151
> >
> > # EDIT to fit your Qt install
> > qtpath="/opt/Qt/5.4/"
> > # qtpath="/usr/local/bin/Qt5.3.1/5.3"
> >
> > # Default could be execdirpath=~/bin
> > # but so it got chances to be on SSD, it goes
> > to /locabin # EDIT to fit your exec folder
> > execdirpath=/usr/local/bin
> >
> > # EDIT to fit your langage
> > mylang="en-us"
> >
> > # EDIT to fit your cpu cores = possible
> > parallel processes cores=3
> >
> > # EDIT postfix for executable
> > # when suffix is 15svn, executable will be
> > scribus15svn suffix=151
> >
> > # Uncomment and edit to compile an old
> > revision or to not update # OR use the -r
> > 19232 option in the command line # todo :
> > specify as an commandline option revision=""
> > # forlatest svn
> > #revision=20099
> > # to "update" to said revision
> > # revision="nomaj" or "noup"
> > # so as to prevent update
> >
> > # More options for make, including -
> > usermakeopt=""
> > # usermakeopt="-B"
> >
> > # End of user editable part
> > ------------------------------
> >

> > BTW I have no idea what option "-B" does.
> [...]

Thanks for your reply. I ran an old and unworking
script of my own devising. It errored off but not
before revealing the latest (I think) revision
number. I patched that into jluc's script and ran
it.

It still shows the old date on the splash screen
but claims to be revision 20343.

Is there a particular feature that was added or
changed in the latest remit? That would be a way
for me to check to see if I really have the
latest and greatest 1.5.1.

Why is this important to me? Well in between
customer jobs I am redoing my 2009 pdf e-book
"Create Book Covers with Scribus." By the time I
finish it 1.6.0 will be here or close to being
here. I can write it to cover both 1.5.0 and 1.6.0
if necessary. Given the limited amount of Scribus
features I use in the ebook (later p-book) the
latest version of 1.5.1 will tell me enough about
1.6.0 to cover the scene. The major changes
affecting cover design will be in the very
different user interface and that is present
already in 1.5.1.

Thanks for your help and thanks again to Jluc
for his  compile script.