[scribus] page size issue in pdf

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Thu Aug 20 06:06:36 UTC 2015

> When I created pdf without crop marks. Pdf page size is 215.9mm x 279.4mm

Strictly speaking the PDF does not have a size, the PDF contains boxes that
have a size.

The relevant boxes here are:
- Trim box (this is the final page size)
- Bleed box (this is the trim box + bleed and generally the outer limit of
the page content)
- Media box (this is the box outside any trim and registration marks)

Since trim marks and similar needs to be placed outside the bleed area the
Media box needs to be bigger than the bleed box. Imposition software is
usually fully aware of these boxes and will place the page based on the
trim box.

http://www.prepressure.com/pdf/basics/page-boxes

I can understand that some users want the media box to be the same as the
bleed box, but I don't think Scribus support that. Even if all marks are
turned off I think Scribus reserves the space for them. One way to solve
this is to use a third party software to crop the PDF to the bleed box.

/Peter