[scribus] Making a large poster out of smaller sheets of paper

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Fri Apr 24 15:43:26 UTC 2015

hi salomea

> You can create an image frame for each tile.
>
> First create an image frame of the correct tile size and place your
> poster in it. Then adjust the scale so that the upper left corner
> shows correctly in this tile.
>
> Duplicate this image frame for every other tile and just the image
> offset to show the correct part.
>
> If the original poster is a PDF or Postscript file make sure to
> select „Embed DF (experimental)“ in the Export-to-PDF settings.
>
> /Andreas
>
> > Am 24.04.2015 um 15:57 schrieb Salomea <salomea at bitmessage.ch>:
> >
> > I have a large poster. But I only have access to small A4 printers.
> > First I have gone by the way of Gimp. Using the guillotine to break
> > a large image into smaller pieces. Quite a pain. Than I have
> > discovered PosteRazor. Compared with Gimp, this is a walk in the
> > park. In the end I get a PDF with the pages. But I still have to
> > guess the page position from the printing order. I have no guides
> > for cutting and none for sticking the pages together. It is faster,
> > yet still a large part of the work done blindly. The only help is
> > that small mistakes are harder to spot on larger posters.
> >
> > Now I have a new idea. Scribus has everything I need. Guides. And
> > marks. But how do I feed Scribus a large image and get the
> > multi-page document that has all the markers to assemble the final
> > poster on the given support media?

in my eyes, the easiest way to solve this, is to use posterazor or
another similar to do the cutting.
(well, i have never tried to use it, but i still would use a dedicated
tool for this task)

but before running posterazor, i can imaging to use scribus to tweak
the image and add some marks.

- create a new scribus document of the A format your targetting (A# or
  manually put the multiple of A4 you will have...)
- add an image frame to the page (0,0,pagewidth,pageheight) and load
  your image (you can also adjust the image size and placement so that
  it matches the number of tiles you want / can print)
- add a layer
- in edit > manage guides, define the guides that create the grid
  you're looking for

now, the rest depends of the number of tiles you're creating.

if there are not many of them
- create a text frame in the left top tile,
- write in there a little marker that helps you sort
the tiles (one that is visible on a4 but on the big poster)
- use the "multiple duplicate" to fill all the tiles
- tweak each tile's marker to be unique (a growing number is a good
  marker... but you could also use . for I, - for V and _ for X and
  have small roman numerals... _-.. being 17)

if there are many tiles (let's say much more than 30) and/or you
plan to do that many times, you could write a script that creates the
text frames with each marker and places it at the right place
(in this case, you can skip the guides).

change the color of some of the markers if they are not visible on the
specific tile.

create a pdf from the document and use posterazor to make tiles out of
it. (evenutally convert the pdf to a format that your tool understands)

if you know python (or another programming language) you can probably
use it to write the marks directly on the image with PIL, GDI or
imagemagick.

does it help you?

have fun
a.l.e