[scribus] Having a Book Published (Dwain Alford)

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 14 02:41:38 UTC 2014

On 9/11/2014 1:11 PM, bobparham at comcast.net wrote:

> I have recently completed my autobiography, a book containing 300+
> pages and 70+ illustrations. I did this with Scribus, converting each
> chapter and Cover into a .pdf file which resulting in 25+ .pdf files.
> I started the book over three years ago using, I believe, vs. 1-3-12
> later going to 1-4-0. I have printed 72 copies of the book and had a
> caregiver, with my instruction, bind all these books using "perfect
> binding". I have, at this point, sold 65 copies which have been well
> received. Financially, I have come out alright since the biggest cost
> item is ink and I get ink cartridges for my Canon printer at a
> fraction of the cost for OEM cartridges. However, at 87 years old I am
> tired of all the work involved and am ready to try to get a publisher
> to take it over. (The copyright has been registered) I have some
> questions regarding this process.
>
> (1)I have not "collected for output" and though I have read a number
> of articles I am still not completely certain about the process.
>
> (2)Should I combine files in order to reduce the number of files? If
> so, how would I go about doing this?
>
> (3)I have read that some publishers require a resolution of at least
> 300 dpi for photos. Not all mine do since I had to hunt for photos for
> illustrating wherever I could find them.
>
> (4)A good many of the photos are in color. Should I convert some to
> grayscale in order to cut cost?
>
> (5)The files are all PDF 1.3.
>
> I would appreciate any assistance I can get in pursuing this goal.
> Since this is not all Scribus oriented I will be happy to receive tips
> and information directly by email if someone so desires.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob P.

I suggest that you look at a couple of book publishing sites, such as MyPublisher.com and VioVio.com and call their 1-800 number and talk to them. In my case, I was primarily publishing photo books, but they could probably deal with yours as easily. In the case of VioVio, I provided EVERYTHING in PDF format. It consisted of about 100 pages. In the case of MyPublisher, I did use their uploading and formatting system and the resulting 100 page 11.5X15" Landscape book was beautiful!

There are many others, such as Blurb, etc.

I am not too familiar with Windows (I do use it a bit, but hate it), so whenever possible, I use LINUX. They have a great utility called pdftk which would allow you to combine all your PDF files into a single one if that is required.

Good Luck!

Murray