[scribus] Another approach? Re: focusing on what has been undone

Mark Heieis mheieis at alois.ca
Fri Oct 31 20:50:15 UTC 2014

Hi,

This has been a long thread but in all of it, I haven't seen a
discussion for an alternate approach. To me, there seems to be a general
consensus in wanting an "undo" function.  The challenge, however, is
around having it function in a visual context and to let the user know
what's being undone - fair comment. All sorts of questions were raised
regarding how this would be handled for non-visual actions.

I would like to throw into the discussion the notion of a history list,
through which the undo would be executed. The history list would contain
all changes made after the last save. A user can click on any step
(level) in the stack and the document would revert back to that step
(level), discarding all changes after it. The larger questions here
being how far back can scribus go and how to manage the incremental
states between saves.

See Darktable, which has a "history stack", to see how this works. It's
very straight forward and the user clearly sees what's going to be "undone".

Whether this approach is feasible or desired in scribus is another
discussion.