[scribus] focusing on what has been undone

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Fri Oct 24 12:19:31 UTC 2014

hi
> On 10/24/2014 01:08 AM, Peter Nermander wrote:
>>> What I do have is an extensive list of the programs and situations I
>>> would like to be on one page and undo something on some other page:
>>>

>> Very interesting, since I can not think of one single such situation, could
>> you describe one for me?
> I guess the joke was too subtle. It was a null list.

i guess that you didn't get the point. or at least part of it.

the problem is not what happens when undoing, something when you just
scrolled away from the page where you made a change.

this was simply the most visible and simple case i could come up with.

you have the same problem when you undo a bunch of action on a busy
page, or a page where you did lot of little changes. or on items that
for any reasons are currently on screen (cf. zoom).

having to undo with no visual feedback puts me in a stress situation. i
have to double check that what happens is what i thought was going to
happen. and i have too little visual hint.

of course, as you write, the action history can help me figure out what
it's happening!
it's really a good way to display it.

but, to me it's not enough.

and since a list of software that behave like scribus was requested: you
can add claws-mail to it!

sadly, it's my mail client of choice... and i promise you: i try to
avoid the undo. and before i start undoing, i always copy the full
content of the email. you never know.

luckily, undo is (to me) less important when writing emails than when
layouting a document!

the counter example being the good old vim. i can undo hours of work,
just to pick parts of an old state and redo everything with little or no
stress. vim's undo just feels like a good friend...
and i see what has changed just as if it was a movie.

still, since nobody seems to be motivated enough to write a
specification, on how scribus should be focusing when undoing, we will
probably keep the current state for a bit longer!

have a nice weekend
a.l.e