[scribus] Need an api/direct set for levels

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Mon Oct 6 12:38:17 UTC 2014

On 10/06/2014 06:05 AM, a.l.e wrote:
> hi jog,
>
>> it would be *very* nice to have a programmatic way to set a level for
>> an object.I have 1300 objects and clicking again and again to reach
>> 884 is absolutely boring.
>> Maybe a textarea, enabling the user to enter the number he/she wants
>> close to the arrows ?If I missed something, please tell me :)
>>

> i don't think that level should be used to set a specific level.
> basically, you should not know that an item is at the level 884 nor care
> about it. only the "relative levels" should matter.
>
> as far as i know, this is how most (if not all) programs work.
>
> you should be able to reach your goal by moving items to the top /
> bottom and than move up and down a few levels.
>
> separate your items by layer if it does not work.
>
> two further remarks from my side:
> - it could be useful to add (to the align and distribute dialog?) a way
> to move an item above / below another item (first  selected / last
> selected)
> - scripting could be useful, but...

I think all these suggestions are good, but there must be some sort of
miscommunication or misunderstanding.

Levels are unique to an object. You cannot have two objects on the same
level. OTOH, as pointed out by a.l.e, you can create and use Layers and
have multiple objects on the same layer, each with its own level. When
you move something up or down in the levels, it is relative to its
current level and objects above and below.

An entire layer can also be moved up or down, relative to other layers.

Greg