[scribus] Bezier Curves

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun Nov 23 15:53:55 UTC 2014

On 11/23/2014 10:29 AM, wena-parry at talktalk.net wrote:

>   Normal
>   0
>

>   MicrosoftInternetExplorer4
>

> Thank you
> Greg, that is the contribution I was referring too. I am aware of such graphic tool. You said that it is a good starter,
> and probably is for some one how has used to it.
>

> I was able
> to lay out my work frame as the tutorial described and I looked for some sort
> of tool to work with. I used the line tool but could only find strait lines. (in figure 1)
>

> However, my
> problem is knowing where the Bezier tool is?
>
> I have also
> used nods but how do I get them to be able to place them in my work?
>
> Figure 2. Where do the “red cross” come from
> and what are the used for?
>
> In one of
> the programmer I have used it always me to place an object and in a layer above
> to be able to copy it, For that I would be placing my new lines and in some
> places produce a strata line, some times with a very sharp turn. Can I do this?

The Bezier curve tool is just to the right of the line segment tool. It
looks like the pen nib of a fountain pen. Hover your mouse cursor to see
the tooltip.

To see and manipulate nodes and vectors of the nodes, you need to select
your curve if it isn't already, then in Properties under the Shape tab
click the Edit button, which brings up the dialog for editing shapes.
The online manual with Scribus describes this in Working with Shapes.

In Figure 2 in that tutorial, the red crosses are imaginary markers to
help you see how to create these curves. As the text says, you click and
let up where the red cross is, then click-drag along the indicated arrow
(also imaginary). By showing the grid on the page, you can be reasonably
precise with these clicks.

Using or not using separate layers for different objects is a choice but
not required; sometimes it's helpful, but you can only work on one layer
at a time. If you edit your curve, you can make curves as sharp as you want.

The tutorial is a good starting point, but ultimately you have to play
with curves to understand how to produce what you want.

Greg