[scribus] New tutorial on curves tool. - of topic - just I remember

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sat Nov 15 17:33:28 UTC 2014

On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 17:22:30 +0100
ale rimoldi <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> hi peter

,,,
> > Are you sure you didn't mean "the wrong tool
> > for the task"*? *I mean, if Inkscape works as
> > intended, why not use Inkscape to draw?
>
> mmm... this is exactly what i wanted to say!
>
> i dream of a slimmer scribus that helps our
> users work with inkscape and scribus together...
>
> ciao
> a.l.e

For perfect-bound book covers Scribus has all the
tools but one. It doesn't have a function to
create the book document and its spine dimensions
based on page count and paper thickness.

Inkscape can't provide the needed PDF X/1-a:2001
final format.

Initially I wrote a program in perl
meant to be used with Scribus that can be found
here:
http://wexfordpress.com/template.html

But my online program just delivers the numbers.
You have to key in the dimensions of the page and
the locations of the necessary vertical guides.

So my new approach will be to use Inkscape's
perfect bound cover generator, mark the spine
area with a light gray rectangle and then save
the file as svg of course. Then I can fire up
Scribus with the svg file as the target.

Using this sequence the cover art and text can be
created in the Inkscape step, or in the
Scribus step, or in a combination. Gimp can be
used of course for bitmap image manipulation if
and when needed.

This is the synergy that A.L.E. is recommending.
It fits the Open Source principle of one tool
that is excellent for each job, and the use of
multiple free tools.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press