[scribus] Removing extra spaces??

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Fri Nov 14 21:41:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 21:54:58 -0500
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> On 11/13/2014 04:34 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> > On 11/13/2014 12:56 PM, john Culleton wrote:
> >> When the typewriter
> >> came along the instructions were to put two
> >> space characters after a full stop to
> >> emulate this practice.
> >
> > You do know, don't you, that the typewriter
> > was invented in the 1860's, and The
> > Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876) was probably
> > the first book written using a typewriter?
> > All of this long predates everything in your
> > history.
> >
> You have to consider that with John, everything
> is another opportunity to talk about TeX, which
> as we know, he is quite fond of.
>
> Greg

> Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain
> Hosting http://www.doteasy.com

OK. However for printed books in the U.S.the extra
space after punctuation persisted until at least
1923 and probably later. I had one book printed
in the 1860's but it seems to have disappeared.
It had extra space as I recall. I found one book
published as recently as 1960 that had extra
space after each period but that was a reprint of
some Sherlock Holmes stories so perhaps that was
the motive.

I like and use a variety of Open Source programs.
I mention TeX a lot but if you notice my sig
block I advertise a book on a Scribus
application. There are horses for courses and
happily we have a long list of programs to choose
from.
--
John Culleton
Wexford Press