[scribus] Scribus 1.4.4 Released

a.l.e ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Fri May 30 06:59:22 UTC 2014

hi kunda
> On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 12:58 AM, Duane G Canaday <sunny51dc at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Where can I find it for Debian Wheezy?
>>
> Duane,
> Another things in addition to Greg's answer below, a.l.e just recently
> posted on the forum about this issue. Check out
> http://forums.scribus.net/index.php/topic,1216.0.html
>
> In summary: "There is probably little chance to get it into Debian
> stable... but you're not really supposed to use Debian stable for the
> Desktop either..."

tl;dr; read http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Debian and add the scribus
repository + key to get the latest stable scribus on debian (and ubuntu)

my remark applies to 1.5svn and not to the stable release...

on the one side, 1.4.x is based on qt4 which *is* in debian stable...

... and on the other side, debian stable does update packages but does
not upgrade them!

so you won't get 1.6 to replace 1.4 when it will be released (supposing
that debian will still exist at that time...) but you should get the
newest 1.4 as soon as it has made through the formal checks.

the fact that some new features have been added to 1.4 will not help
here, but i'm confident that if the package maintainer proposes the new
version, it will go through!

back to reality: for reasons i don't know of, currently only a very old
scribus is in debian stable... i wonder if it's related to the fact that
non free color sets have been generously included in the scribus code...
(and i won't discuss here if it make sense to force all color sets to be
really free).

so, if you want to have the latest in debian stable, you will have to
read this page and add the scribus own repositories:

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Debian

if you do that, you will get the latest stable scribus as soon as it is
released! promised!

it's a small detour but -- at the end -- should be the fastest way to
getting the most recent scribus stable on your debian / ubuntu computer!

have fun
a.l.e