[scribus] Review: Grafik Labor Hackaton Python / Mai 2014

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Wed May 28 08:24:37 UTC 2014

dear scribusers

on mai 17+18, afgral (see link above) and active design
(http://activdesign.eu) have organised a hacking weekend for graphics
in rennes.

thanks to cédric and elisa for the wonderful event!

here you cand find a review of the projects that relate to scribus!

* a script repository

we created a repository of scribus scripts
(https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-script-repository). on the one side
we want to allow the download the scripts rather than the current copy
pasting from the wiki. on the other side we value proper revisioning
and bug reporting... and on the hyperspace side, we still dream of a
script or plugin that would list and fetch the scripts for you!

- https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-script-repository/issues
-
  https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-script-repository/blob/master/typographic-grid/setup.json

* typographic grid + base line grid

we produced a python script that runs from inside scribus and creates a
typographic grid  that matches the baseline grid (defined as a multiple
of text size)

a first version is available for download (and further enhancing):
https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-script-repository/tree/master/typographic-grid

* extract the document description

we started a script that extracts the document characteristics (fonts,
styles, guides, ...) and writes a report that can be used to create a
graphical charter.

the draft is here to be completed and enhanced:
-
https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-script-repository/tree/master/graphic-charter

* restructured text to .SLA

finally, we had longer discussions on the best way to get RST (or MD)
text merged into scribus documents. while it would be wonderful to have
a direct way of importing it (and maybe also exporting it) at the end
we settled on recommending going through the HTML importer, improve it
and create some scripts for specific issues (like placing images that
are referenced by a url)

all in all, a very productive weekend and exciting weekend!

see you from july 8 to july 10 @RMLL (http://rmll.info) in montpellier
for more graphics and scribus topics?

ciao
a.l.e