[scribus] Really big 'pages'.

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Sat May 24 19:34:56 UTC 2014

On 23.05.2014 19:52, John Beardmore wrote:
> I'm making a couple of big banners under 1.4.4svn. The size is 2000mm
> tall, 800mm wide, with 150mm bleed at the bottom.
>
> I can set up a document with these dimensions as a custom page size, but
> if I 'Fit to height' it doesn't show quite all the page.
>
> If I try to zoom out to see an overview it won't. Is this a known problem ?
>

> Cheers, J/.

Hi J.,

thank you for pointing this out. I tried your layout on Version 1.4.3
(Windows) and the smallest zoom I can get is 10% (status bar, bottom
left, zoom buttons or fit to hight). So fit to hight is not possible on
my Scribus either.

I did a quick search on "zoom" in the bug tracker and there are some
issues, but to me it seems that nobody ever shouted for a zoom below 10%.

I have done some few banners in the last three years which get printed
even bigger than 2000mm, and I believe a tool like Adobe Reader does not
mind showing even bigger stuff, at least I remember having seen my
design before I took the order to the shop. (Some landscape PR-banners I
created really big, I believe with Inkscape, and some were just blown-up
pages from our magazine.)

So I would second a "feature request" for a future Scribus version to
support really big formats - and be able to show them on a screen. For
us this would fall into a priority "nice to have" but not very urgent. I
cannot envisage us, ever needing (or rather having money for) banners
larger than 10 meters; 3 to 4 meters more normal.

Are the zoom limits fundamentally engrained in the code, or are those
parameters which could be "re-programmed" rather easily?

What would other users need? Anybody need "extreme zooming" the other
way, i.e. beyond 3200%. Sometimes I am trying to "hide" tiny things
inside documents; and rarely I am searching for some mistaken mini-frame
(when I slipped off the mouse button), but so far no real need for
mega-zoom-in.

fwiw,

Martin

--