[scribus] Text does not align to Baseline Grid

g.ru at gmx.com g.ru at gmx.com
Thu May 22 14:46:42 UTC 2014

Am 22.05.2014 16:18, schrieb Gregory Pittman:
> On 05/22/2014 09:57 AM, g.ru at gmx.com wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I'm currently composing a conference transcript using Scribus 1.4.3 on
>> Windows 7 Enterprise. The document is by now containing 228 pages and
>> several pictures.
>>
>> Up to now the text aligned, as specified in the corresponding style
>> (which I named "Text"), to the baseline grid. Suddenly some paragraphs
>> refuse, while others in the same paragraph style are still aligned
>> correctly. I did not change anything in the style settings, when this
>> occurred, just worked in the text.
>>
>> To fix the problem I tried to change the paragraph style settings' line
>> spacing mode from "Align to Baseline Grid" to  "Fixed Linespacing",
>> which worked for each single paragraph in "Text" style. Changing back to
>> "Align to Baseline Grid" was interesting: first the option disappeared
>> from the drop-down list. The second time "Align to Baseline Grid" was
>> selectable, but when selected the option jumped back to "Fixed
>> Linespacing". Third try was successful, though clicking apply only
>> changed back the paragraphs which already where aligned correctly in the
>> beginning. The others remained in the fixed line spacing I set before.
>> Several tries followed the same scheme.
>>
>> Restarting Scribus did not work.
>>
>> Third idea that came to my mind was changing the style of the wrongly
>> aligned paragraphs from "Text" to another style and back again. This
>> works reproducible but is not feasible for a document containing several
>> hundred paragraphs.
>>
>> Finally I tried to reboot the whole system - which seems to solve the
>> problem.
>>
>> Is this issue known, or does anyone experience similar?
>
> This sounds like it might be a failure of the page to refresh. I have
> seen this before in other situations where a change is made but doesn't
> appear on the page. When you save then reload, the change is there,
> suggesting that it was there but didn't display properly.
>
> I'm not sure if there is something like a "hard refresh" command that
> might accomplish this as a shorter backup method...
>
> Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your fast answer. What confuses me is that the "misalignment"
still exists after closing Scribus completely without saving, then
reopening it and reloading the file. Shouldn't that display the correct
alignment? The version you suggested (saving, then reloading) displays
the changes I did in the text, but the text is  still misaligned.

As I'm currently trying to get rid of orphans and widows this is really
keeping me from working!

Gregor