[scribus] right-alignment bug

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Tue May 20 12:48:25 UTC 2014

If this bug is still around in 1.5 it needs a more serious status or
priority. Not being able to right-justify half of all fonts is bad for
Scribus.

I have little spare time but did some testing today: One can easily
identify the fonts which get miss-handled when activating View > Show
Control Characters. Those which show proper paragraph symbols, tend to
properly right-align. Text portions in fonts which are not handled
correctly tend to not show any paragraph symbols. (When editing some
mixed font text in the inbuilt editor, I even had all the paragraph
symbols disappear...).

Concerning workarounds:

If an entire text-box is done in the same font, one can create a
dummy-last-line which just needs to be empty. That way each visible line
receives the same buggy "space" on the right. And the entire text-box
can be shifted according to document layout-needs.
	This does not seem to work for mixed fonts, because the unwanted
right-hand-side spaces appear in different widths, depending on font. So
no joy with right-aligning mixed fonts (luckily this does not affect us,
we keep our documents simple).

Another potential workaround (depending on user needs) is this: Normal
paragraph text - which flows over several lines - does right-align
properly. So the "bad space" only happens where there is a paragraph-end.
	If the user can replace the "paragraph-end-character" by New Line
(Shift plus Return) then the bug does not affect those and the text
looks properly right-aligned. And yes, there are side effects, because
paragraphs do exist for a reason...

If other users want to test ideas, they will find a list of affected
fonts at the bug report site: http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=10720

And for control-testing (comparison), my fonts DejaVu are not affected,
and those are widely available.

I have no idea whether this is something fundamental within the text
rendering engine, or maybe just some off way of reading certain font
parameters. The fact that alignment and also the showing (or not) of the
control characters is affected together might be a pointer for the
developers where to look.

fwiw

Martin

--