[scribus] pdf size

Kunda Loves Scribus scribus.user at gmail.com
Fri May 16 13:20:32 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 8:07 AM, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> On 05/16/2014 07:54 AM, Carolien Hofmans wrote:
> > Works like a charm! From 31,2 MB to 4,9 MB! Thank you so much!
> >

> This comes about because your images are entered bitwise into the PDF,
> so if you don't restrict the image resolution, you put the whole image
> file in the PDF.
>
> With text, there can be a problem when Scribus must outline the font, in
> which case you are creating graphics out of each individual glyph.
>
> Greg

Greg & JLuc, great elaborations!
I wonder what theoretical way could Scribus help those who don't understand
this... to understand this via the GUI?

Perhaps in the Preflight Verifier? (specifically for the fonts that need
outlining) ("We've detected a font used that requires arteficial outlining
of each font, this most likely will increase the size of the file")
Or even better a prominent pop up profile that descriptively offers what
JLuc above was saying he uses depending on what the output is for be it a
printer or for the web.

/Kunda