[scribus] pdf size

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri May 16 13:17:35 UTC 2014

On 05/16/2014 09:10 AM, Wayne DePrince Jr. wrote:
> On ven, 2014-05-16 at 09:07 -0400, Gregory Pittman wrote:
>
>> On 05/16/2014 07:54 AM, Carolien Hofmans wrote:
>>> Works like a charm! From 31,2 MB to 4,9 MB! Thank you so much!
>>>

>> This comes about because your images are entered bitwise into the PDF,
>> so if you don't restrict the image resolution, you put the whole image
>> file in the PDF.
>>
>> With text, there can be a problem when Scribus must outline the font, in
>> which case you are creating graphics out of each individual glyph.
>

>     this thread is full of all good information as an addendum to that
> in the wiki.  i am having similar issues and did not think of text as
> being a potential cause of the large PDF size.  is there a way to avoid
> having Scribus outline each glyph?  does it depend on the font type?

Yes it does. Some fonts must be outlined. Some have a licence which does
not allow embedding, and so far, many OTF fonts cannot be embedded.

back to images:

here is a wiki page I made to illustrate the relationship between export
parameters, resolution, and file size:

http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/Image_DPI_and_Scaling,_and_Resultant_File_Sizes

Greg