[scribus] Why does Preflight Check complain about images having transparencies?

Kunda Loves Scribus scribus.user at gmail.com
Wed May 7 19:00:17 UTC 2014

> > I have an .eps file that I set up as a background for a Master Page.
> > In the preflight check it shows up as a warning.
> > Why?
> > Is this is Printing issue?
>
> Its a warning for some types of export where the output type does not
> support transparencies. Eg it
> should be showing for PDF 1.3 but not for 1.4. That's why there's a
> selector at the top of the
> window to choose the output type.

Thanks Craig :)
Ah-hah!..now I understand better. Interesting is that my eyes didn't even
pay attention to that 'selector' dropdown.
I wonder how it would be possible to make that more intuitive (i'm assuming
that I'm not the only one who doesn't fully grok the 'preflight check'
function).

For example:
Is it possible to run several preflight checks at once using different
export profiles and then offer a side-by-side column comparison of
different issues? If that's not a good idea, because it sounds pretty
inefficient (especially with large documents), then how can the user
interface can be more educational with as few words as possible that the
preflight check is checking the export using a specific pdf output version?

> > Also it would be nice if there could be a hover/popup link or text
> > explanation that an educate the user about the different warnings/errors
> > that show up....
>
> Nice idea.. we just need the text :)

Great! Where is there a list of errors/warnings that we can organize in a
table on the wiki with a more detailed explanation companion text? I'd be
happy to organize that.

Cheers,
/Kunda