[scribus] Stalking the wild 'RTL language support' in Scribus

Kunda Loves Scribus scribus.user at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 14:56:46 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 6:45 AM, Hans Schmidt <z0idberg at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 12.06.2014 23:16, schrieb مصعب الزعبي:
> > Yes Guys.
> > This problem stand in face who want to use Scribus in more than 30% of
> whole
> > world that using RTL in their language.
> >
> > Our past work in Arabic group we can Fix Two issues from three ..
> >
> > 1 - RTL align
> > 2 - RTL shaping
> >
> > The third one that Scribus PDF extraction in these languages.
> > So I hope that you fix PDF extraction issue soon as you possible
> > And I'll try to re-write our patch here to be compatible with devel
> > branch of Scribus.
> >
> > Best Regards
> Hello,
>
> In Arabic, the books are also printed right to left, right? This is also
> true for Japanese so the Japanese support would also benefit from that.
>
> I think it would be very good if the CJK and RTL “groups” would
> coordinate their effort and see if there are some overlapping functions
> which can be implemented.
>
> It would be really bad if now RTL support were implemented and when
> there is (hopefully) eventually CJK support, everything would have to be
> rewritten. So I guess it would be better if this could be discussed
> beforehand :)
>
> As I said, I am more than willing to give advise for CJK scripts. I
> would just need somebody interested.... ;)

Ok proposal for group,
first the representatives:
  RTL: Mossab
  CJK: Hans
  Scribus code code refactoring: Andreas

Needed:
* Code refactoring on PDF Extraction is needed before moving forward with
Mossab's RTL patch improvements
* CJK scripter that can implement Hans's consultations before
implementation of RTL
* Any other interested parties that have skills that can aid this process

How's that?
/Kunda