[scribus] Scribus sla to epub (export) q. (calibre does not work)

ale rimoldi ale.comp_06 at xox.ch
Thu Jun 5 14:26:42 UTC 2014

hi richard,

> Hi folks,
>
> I recall from earlier discussions on the list, that an epub exporter
> was planned, but not integrated, for Scribus. The recommendation at
> that time was to export from Scribus to PDF, and then to use Calibre
> to go from PDF to epub.
>
> The problem I have is that while the Scribus-exported.PDF is spot-on
> perfect, printed to hard copy via LSI, etc., the resulting
> Calibre-exported.epub is complete rubbish. I used the following
> command:
>
>     ebook-convert in.pdf out.epub --enable-heuristics
>
> I realize this is not a Calibre support forum, please bear with me.
> However, using PDF as the intermediary, when all the information is
> already in Scribus still strikes me as slightly odd. Perhaps that's
> because I don't understand file import/export/conversions, but I was
> hoping to go directly from Scribus to epub, and remove one link in
> the chain.
>
> Does anyone have any other suggestions of how to either improve the
> epub, or to get directly to an epub, from Scribus itself? Or perhaps
> how to improve the pdf->epub so that it's usable? All help tips
> appreciated.

i'm currently working on the epub exporter from scribus 1.5svn.

the pieces are slowly coming (again) together...

here you can follow the improvements:

https://github.com/aoloe/scribus-plugin-export-epub

it currently creates an epub, with an empty xhtml file per section...
... and i'm working on reintegrating the text export (the task should
be done before the end of the (long) weekend... but i don't want to
make promises i can't hold).

ciao
a.l.e