[scribus] Unable to install Scribus (Dwain Alford)

Dwain Alford wdalford6 at live.com
Mon Jan 6 22:13:02 UTC 2014

On 01/06/2014 02:00 PM, Craig Bradney wrote:
> On 6/01/2014 8:18 pm, Dwain Alford wrote:
>> On 01/05/2014 06:18 AM, Arjen wrote:
>>> You might want to check settings on Mac if you are allowed to install
>>> software from other sources:
>>> System Preferences | Security and Privacy | Personal
>>> Allow from anywhere…
>>>
>>> Good Luck
>>> Arjen
>>> See also:
>>> http://wiki.scribus.net
>>> http://forums.scribus.net
>>>

>> i don't understand. if you are speaking of my comment regarding possible issues setting scribus
>> prefs, then i did not communicate clearly or you did not understand my comment. i had a problem
>> setting prefs. i am currently on a dial-up connection, so attaching anything is verboten.
>>
>> i run lion. when i initially set prefs there was not a problem. when i tried to change a setting
>> later that's when everything went awry. the problem i had in setting prefs is that using the mouse
>> to choose settings failed to work after the first setting was made. if i used the mouse, the
>> setting box went blank and would not hold the new setting. i went to work to try and determine why
>> this was happening.
>>
>> i uninstalled and reinstalled the dmg file. same thing happened. i searched my computer for all
>> things scribus and deleted them. reinstalled and when i opened the program, the same prefs were
>> there again. i installed the pkg file and still the same thing. unless the program provider
>> provides an uninstall program for mac, the only way to uninstall is to drag the program to the
>> trash and do a search and destroy for program remnants, which this problem seems does not solve.
>>
>> i ended up having to use my mouse to activate the drop-down menu, then move the cursor out of the
>> drop-down menu and use my arrow keys to set the prefs, one setting at a time (having to close and
>> reopen the prefs dialog. this does not happen on windows or linux.
>>
>> kind of odd, don't you think?
>>
>> i have a text file with a scribus program crash log i will send at a later date.
>>

> If you want to nuke you Scribus preferences entirely, close Scribus, then delete your
> Library/Preferences/Scribus folder under *your* home directory. to get into that Library folder if
> its hidden, hold down Alt and then go to the Go menu of Finder and select Library.
>
> Craig
>

> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

hi craig,
i did that. i went through every folder on the computer, manually, after
two tries at search and find ant the same prefs turned up. strangest
thing i had ever experienced. when i get to a high speed connection, i
will send the crash report file to you. it's for apple, but it may be of
some help to you folks if something like a prefs crash happens again on
a mac (imac to be specific) but other that this problem, there are and
have been no others. the program runs as expected and does everything
swimmingly.

i do appreciate the input and the info. i am a big proponent of open
source software and tell others about scribus and other grafix software.

fyi, if users know a windows user with coreldraw 14, that program has a
macro that will convert cdr files to ai as well as svg (but scribus
complains about them) files that import wonderfully into scribus if they
have a need for clipart besides openclipart.org.

puttin' the word out.

cheers,
dwain