[scribus] Unable to install Scribus (Dwain Alford)

Dwain Alford wdalford6 at live.com
Mon Jan 6 19:18:40 UTC 2014

On 01/05/2014 06:18 AM, Arjen wrote:
> You might want to check settings on Mac if you are allowed to install
> software from other sources:
> System Preferences | Security and Privacy | Personal
> Allow from anywhere…
>
> Good Luck
> Arjen
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

i don't understand. if you are speaking of my comment regarding possible
issues setting scribus prefs, then i did not communicate clearly or you
did not understand my comment. i had a problem setting prefs. i am
currently on a dial-up connection, so attaching anything is verboten.

i run lion. when i initially set prefs there was not a problem. when i
tried to change a setting later that's when everything went awry. the
problem i had in setting prefs is that using the mouse to choose
settings failed to work after the first setting was made. if i used the
mouse, the setting box went blank and would not hold the new setting. i
went to work to try and determine why this was happening.

i uninstalled and reinstalled the dmg file. same thing happened. i
searched my computer for all things scribus and deleted them.
reinstalled and when i opened the program, the same prefs were there
again. i installed the pkg file and still the same thing. unless the
program provider provides an uninstall program for mac, the only way to
uninstall is to drag the program to the trash and do a search and
destroy for program remnants, which this problem seems does not solve.

i ended up having to use my mouse to activate the drop-down menu, then
move the cursor out of the drop-down menu and use my arrow keys to set
the prefs, one setting at a time (having to close and reopen the prefs
dialog. this does not happen on windows or linux.

kind of odd, don't you think?

i have a text file with a scribus program crash log i will send at a
later date.

cheers,
dwain