[scribus] GSoC Org Mentor propals deadline in under 24 hours

Kunda Loves Scribus scribus.user at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 17:32:00 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 9:08 AM, a.l.e <ale.comp_06 at xox.ch> wrote:

> hi kunda
>
>  What do you think of this as a last minute idea:
>> http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/GSOC_2014_Ideas/Continuous_Integration_
>> Framework
>> Anyone want to co-mentor ?
>>

> i think that this is one of the most meaningful topics that has been
> proposed for this year's gsoc... but i'm not sure it is doable.
>
> - scribus currently does not have (automated) tests.
> - the scribus code is not built in a way that makes testing easy.
> - there is not recipe for building scribus on the platform which is most
> popular amongst the (potential) users and the potential developers.
>
> the way will be very steep for the student and we would need a really
> brilliant candidate for such a project!
>
> but, hey, i would be delighted to be contradicted!
> a.l.e

a.l.e Thanks for the detailed feedback. The deadline has already passed and
GSoC 2014 has become irrelevant. AND the idea still stands. If there was
server space and resources I'd be open to contributing time to bring
something like this to fruition. Perhaps the odds are against us to find 1
brilliant candidate..but perhaps starting an effort, putting word out to
the open source community... maybe knowledgeable people can show up to help
piece it together.

Scribus in it's current incarnation might not lend itself AND people are
creative. If it's deemed worthy then whoever is interested in making it
happen can volunteer their time and make the commitment giving their word
about what they can and can't do.

That was my idea behind making this Homebrew formula. Now it further (hat
tip to MrB) opens the possibility for more OSX Scribus enthusiast to test
1.5svn whereas before that was not an option that was easily available.
It's still somewhat of a chore and I'm hoping to change that, for example
using something like Homebrew-Cask (https://github.com/phinze/homebrew-cask
)
*"a friendly homebrew-style CLI workflow for the administration of Mac
applications distributed as binaries"*

Cheers,
/Kunda