[scribus] Printing only visible layers in a PDF

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Tue Dec 30 02:34:16 UTC 2014

On 12/29/2014 06:30 PM, Frank wrote:
> I want to be able to select the layers I can
> view and print from a PDF created by Scribus.
> Currently all of the layers print not just the
> layers that have been selected in the PDF.

To do this your selection method starts at PDF creation. You cannot
include all layers in the PDF, then select which to print later.

What you need to do is select the layers you wish to print in Scribus,
then create different PDF versions for each selection of layers you want
separated.

So let's say you have a Background, a layer named B, and a third named C.

>From the Layers dialog, there are two potentially confusing choices.
While you might decide to hide a layer by unchecking the column with the
eye icon, this only hides it from view in Scribus. If you print or
create a PDF, this hidden layer will still be printed/exported.

So you must uncheck the column which shows a little printer icon just to
the right of the eye. Unchecked layers will not be printed and will not
export to the PDF.

To only have the Background in my example, it must be checked to print,
and layers B and C unchecked. Whether or not they're showing or hidden
in Scribus makes no difference for the export.

Greg