[scribus] Indic Support in Scribus 1.5

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 3 18:25:26 UTC 2014

> To: scribus at lists.scribus.info
> From: jluc at no-log.org
> Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 09:27:08 +0100
> Subject: Re: [scribus] Indic Support in Scribus 1.5

> My use of scribus 1.5 also badly suffer of this #12228 issue.
> #12228 http://bugs.scribus.net/view.php?id=12228 is a keyboard management issue
>
> I dont think indic input issue is the same because indic is rtl layout
> and, as prokoudine says, there is a lot more to deal
> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complex_text_layout
>
> Please dont mix these issues
>
> JL

Indic scripts are left-to-right. http://www.i18nguy.com/temp/rtl.html

They have complicated layout due to dependent vowel signs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmic_scripts and biconsonantal conjuncts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devanagari with alternate forms http://people.w3.org/rishida/uniprop32/descn-devanagari.html

So does that mean that there are three issues: 1) entering accented or composed characters in text frames (applies to every language except English), 2) constructing and displaying complex characters represented by multiple unicode code points (applies to Arabic and Indic scripts), and 3) right-to-left layout (applies to Arabic and Hebrew scripts)?

William