[scribus] PPA for Ubuntu Trusty not working?

FirasHanife@gmail.com firashanife at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 16:10:44 UTC 2014

Il 20/08/2014 17:53, john Culleton ha scritto:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 17:56:08 -0700
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 21:04:25 -0700
>> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
>>
>>> I guess it really is working, because I just
>>> noticed that Synaptic now lists Scribus-trunk
>>> 1.5.0. I installed it and it seems to work OK.
>>> Don't know what happened to 1.4.3 and 1.4.4,
>>> but oh well. As long as 1.5.0 doesn't crash a
>>> lot I don't mind doing constant saves. And the
>>> automatic backup is set to ten minutes anyway.
>>>
>>> Now I have to play with it. :)
>> OK, I have spent some time playing with it and
>> there are too many bugs for it to be usable, at
>> least for manipulating text. I opened an old
>> finished document and one of the text frames
>> was messed up, so I tried to fix it. The text
>> frame contained just two words, each on a
>> separate line and centered, with the text
>> shrunk to 88% in height and expanded to 107% in
>> width for one word and 117% for the other. As I
>> was trying to fix it text kept disappearing,
>> the center button didn't work on the second
>> line, line spacing was erratic - it was
>> hopeless.
>>
>> I want my 1.4.3 back, or maybe 1.4.4. The
>> Ubuntu 14.04.1 repository does not list them.
>> Where can I get them?
>>
>> ___
>> Scribus Mailing List: scribus at lists.scribus.net
>> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
>> See also:
>> http://wiki.scribus.net
>> http://forums.scribus.net

>> Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain
>> Hosting http://www.doteasy.com
> On my Slackware box I download and compile 1.4.x
> and 1.5.0 nightly using a cron script. Here is
> the 1.4.x (currently 1.4.5) script:
> rm -r /usr/local/src/s14x
> cd /usr/local/src/
>
> svn co svn://scribus.net/branches/Version14x/Scribus s14x
> cd s14x
> cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr/local/scribus4_svn
> make
> make install
> cd scribus
> ls -l scribus
> rm /usr/local/bin/scrib4
> ln scribus /usr/local/bin/scrib4
> ----------------------------------
> Ubuntu, like other Linuxes, can compile programs
> from source. You do not have to wait on someone
> to add your needed program to a repository.
> You do have to run:
> apt-get install build.essentials
> and perhaps
> download some libraries.
>
> For some reason I am not able to compile the
> latest Inkscape0.91pre2 on Slackware so I
> installed an Ubuntu partition just to handle this
> case.
>
> Have you tried apt-get install scribus? You should
> get something in the 1.4.x series.

Hey John,
I saw your script and I have a suggestion for you:
You don't need to delete and re-download everything each time you update
the source.
Simply use "make clean". So it won't be needed to set up again cmake
commands or
delete installed files.

I usually use those commands after the first setup:

cd /path/to/Scribus/source
svn up
cd build
make clean && make -j(n° of cores/threads) && make install

Bye,
FirasH