[scribus] Align text forced justified and non breaking space

ZASKE Martin zm at revue-gugu.org
Tue Apr 15 15:38:13 UTC 2014

According to Unicode, programs have freedom how to stretch nor
not-stretch spaces which are (just) marked non-breaking.

So Greg has asked the right question, namely what happens.

Several users have given their preferences. I would go with the idea
that a line of justified French text should look balanced. So if - for
whatever reasons - a line got large spaces, the non-breaking space with
the "!" or "?" should also look somewhat larger than "normally" (to take
some of the "stretch-burden"). In summary: I would prefer a non-breaking
space to stretch (proportionally) in a justifying context and to
not-stretch in any other context. Maybe hard to implement?

Is this list a good place to collect user preferences and arguments for
and against? And how will the conclusion be finalized and be presented
to the developers? Is there a similar list like this in French?

Our local language (Anii) is following the French orthography as far as
possible. So we are highly interested, since we produce all our stuff on
Scribus. Just creating something "special" and calling it "French
spacing" or linking it automatically to language French would not help
us. I am wary of too much automatics and other layouters might also have
exotic needs. I often prefer manual ways to set things to our local
needs. Scribus is great for that so far.

greetings

Martin

--
ZASKE Martin