[scribus] Align text forced justified and non breaking space (Peter Nermander)

M. Ridinger mari at mailbox.org
Sun Apr 13 21:56:24 UTC 2014

> Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 10:43:15 +0200
> From: Peter Nermander <peter at nermander.se>
> To: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Subject: Re: [scribus] Align text forced justified and non breaking space
> Message-ID
> <CAODejytAzJacYAXCnvk6iNYSoaTR8y2FLv4c5=XF5i7frucWuQ at mail.gmail.com>
>
>> I think the important question is about what happens to a non-breaking
>> space with full justification. Is it subject to being widened? If so, I
>> think Scribus should exempt these from any stretching.
>>
> Why? Non-breaking does not mean non-stretching.

Yes, but they often are used in a similar context: If you use a space to
concatenate two parts which belong together in some sense they should not be
separated neither by a line break nor by stretching.

> There are several other unicode spaces that are "fixed width". Read the
> page I linked to.

I had a look on the page with unicode spaces and played around with it. The
problem in practice is, that at least on my Ubuntu 12.04 most Fonts either are
not unicode or do not offer e.g. U+2005 for other reasons while U+00a0 is
supported by all fonts I tested.

After reading this discussion I arrive at the conclusion that the most
convenient way would be to add a mechanism like LaTeX \hfill: a separator which
absorbs (nearly) all stretching in a line. A "normal" space would act as
(almost) non-stretching space in that line. But I can not see such a separator
in the list of unicode spaces.

Many thanks,
Markus