[scribus] New for 1.6.0 - Tagged PDF to improve accessibility of PDFs?

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Sun Sep 15 10:33:45 UTC 2013

> Let me also repeat that, as of now, Scribus's PDF output isn't primarily intended to create PDFs that will be published as electronic documents (the exception being PDF forms, and, in 1.5/1.6, 3D PDFS). Instead, Scribus creates "print-ready" PDFs, which serve as some kind of intermediate between the designer and the printer. The final "format" is the printed product.

I think this part needs to be more emphasized: Scribus is not for
creating PDF:s, it's for creating printed (paper) works.

The PDF from Scribus is just a standardized way to transfer the to the
printing company.

So, anyone requesting PDF features need to ask themselves the
question: Is that feature necessary for correct printing?

Sure, in the future Scribus might be "The" PDF creation software for
printing as well as other forms of PDF, but currently it isn't. And as
long as Scribus can't handle complex scripts and things like that for
printed works, those issues should get a bigger priority.

Tagged PDFs are NOT a showstopper for printed works.

/Peter