[scribus] Selecting color palettes on 1.5.0

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Wed Oct 30 06:30:55 UTC 2013

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 29. Oktober 2013 um 22:29 Uhr
> Von: "john Culleton" <John at wexfordpress.com>
> Betreff: [scribus] Selecting color palettes on 1.5.0
>
> Scribus 1.5.0 offers several palettes, some of which are so
> limited as to be IMO useless. Others contain a range of shades
> of one or two colors. Looking for a useful general CMYK palette I
> found at the bottom of the menu a palette called Galaxy. I have
> for years used a printed guide to CMYK colors that I purchased
> from a company called Galaxy Gauge. On one of their products, the
> "Color Map Pro", printed on glossy paper, is a list of swatches
> with names and CMYK numbers. The names, numbers and the colors
> on this list are identical to the palette named "Galaxy" on
> Scribus 1.5.0.
>
> It is advantageous to have both the printed Galaxy Gauge Color
> Pro product and the Scribus palette. Actual printed colors do not
> always match the colors we see on the screen, even though they
> have the same numbers and name. The Color Map Pro has lots of
> other features, including a table of about 1100 swatches and
> their CMYK formulations, ways to find complementary color
> combinations and so on. I consider it invaluable.
>
> In my scanning of the dozen or more palettes on 1.5.0 the
> Galaxy palette is the most practical one IMO.

The Galaxy Gauge palettes, as well as related documentation and colour tools, are also included in 1.4.3. See: http://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/1.4.3_Release.

Galaxy Gauge supports Scribus and Open Source software in general wholeheartedly and has become one of our Special Supporters (see the press release I linked to above). Currently Scribus is the only software that's being shipped with digital versions of Galaxy colours (actually, we created the digital palettes in close cooperation with them), and we're definitely proud of it!

Christoph