[scribus] Change in POD printers, colour standards

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Tue Oct 29 21:07:12 UTC 2013

On Tue, 29 Oct 2013 13:44:14 -0700
Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:

> On 10/29/2013 01:27 PM, john Culleton wrote:
> > My work as a programmer began in 1968 on an IBM 360/40, using
> > COBOL. RPG was the language of choice on the 1401, the 360-20
> > and later on the AS400. It was designed to be easily
> > understood by those who started out on IBM EAM (Electronic
> > Accounting Machines.)
>
> Back when I learned it, I was told that it was designed to
> make a (real) computer emulate a card collator/sorter, and
> that it was intended to allow people who'd worked on them to
> continue to work using those new-fangled[1] computers.

Yes, that was one of the several punch card machines it
emulated. In an EAM shop you had a sorter, collator, a printer
and so on. I forget the model numbers. Each function had a
machine. The the programming of several machines was done by
putting patch cords into a frame which had several rows and
columns of sockets.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press