[scribus] text styles in footnotes (1.5.0svn)

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Oct 17 00:50:59 UTC 2013

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 21:15:30 +0200
Andreas Hünnebeck <acmh at gmx.de> dijo:

>Am Dienstag, 15. Oktober 2013, 10:26:53 schrieb John Jason Jordan:
>> On Tue, 15 Oct 2013 13:09:43 -0400
>>
>> Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> dijo:
>> >I'm posting this to try to generate some feedback, not only from the
>> >Scribus team, on the direction that this should go by some
>> >consensus.
>>
>> Your suggestions make sense to me. All other programs I have used
>> have a default footnote style. The user can modify it with the same
>> dialog windows as other styles, but it gets applied automatically to
>> footnotes. In LibreOffice it is based on the Default style (which the
>> user can also modify), so the footnote style ends up with the same
>> font, tab settings, etc. as the other text on the page except that
>> the font size is a point or two less than the default.
>
>I second that.

I should add that the LO default footnote style is probably based on
Hanging Indent rather than Default, although Hanging Indent is itself
based on Default. Most of the time you would want your footnotes with a
hanging indent. It is crucial, however, that the user be able to modify
the footnote style, because there are lots of different academic style
manuals, and each requires something slightly different.

I should also add that LO Writer comes with a set of styles that are
part of the program. The user can modify them, but they cannot be
deleted. The user need not use any of them, and the user is free to
make as many new styles as the user desires.