[scribus] print drivers

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Sun Oct 13 05:23:09 UTC 2013

> Gesendet: Samstag, 12. Oktober 2013 um 11:47 Uhr
> Von: ugajin at talktalk.net
> An: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> Betreff: [scribus] print drivers
>

> I am running Mac OSX v10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
>
> I wish to find a suitable (open source if possible) application to print high end image files.
> I have both Gimp v2.8.4 and Scribus v1.4.3 installed, but I cannot find a way to apply output icc profiles for either of these applications.
> The printer options list for Gimp and Scribus appear to be very similar, however . .
> In Gimp, the values for each option are clearly labelled e.g. Media Type & etc. whereas
> for Scribus, the values are displayed as digits e.g. 0, 2, 14 & etc. which is very unhelpful.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> -A

Hi,

Since you're on Mac OS X, install Gutenprint (http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php). This will give you more options than you can imagine over the quality of your print output. Your device is being supported by Gutenprint.

As to Scribus's colour management settings, these are irrevelant for you because your device is no PostScript printer. Colour-managed output only works for PDF export and PostScript printers. In all other cases, Scribus will create what almost all printing devices expect: sRGB data. It should be the same with GIMP.

There are plans to support colour-managed printing for inkjet printers, as well as many other printing devices, but this isn't a priority right now. With Gutenprint you can adjust the print quality to the tiniest details via CUPS.

HTH,

Christoph