[scribus] Sequence of actions for books.

Manuel Schmalstieg webdev at ms-studio.net
Wed Nov 20 22:47:17 UTC 2013

> Have I got the sequence about right? Have I left out steps?

Yes, I think your sequence of actions makes good sense.

On important step is defining and applying your styles. That's one
step with several sub-steps.

> Is it still a good idea  to break the book up into separate
> files? If so how does one handle the TOC?

Splitting is a good idea. With less text to handle, the application
will be more responsive and quick. If you have too much chained text
in your file, every action will have some lag while Scribus is
propagating the changes throughout the text flow.

For a recent pocket-sized book, I have been working with
chapter-sections of ca 50 pages each. In that case, it's good to
properly define all your formats, master pages and styles first. Then
as a last step, you duplicate that file and import your chapters.

For page numbering, there's an option in Document Setup > Sections
that allows you to determine where the numbering begins.