[scribus] Typesetting of mathematical formula in Scribus

Hans Schmidt z0idberg at gmx.de
Sun Nov 17 10:44:37 UTC 2013

Am 17.11.2013 05:08, schrieb john Culleton:
> Although the various versions of TeX are not as
> handy for creating magazines or coffee table
> books compared to Scribus I think you
> underestimate the ability of e.g., Context to
> format pages. Specifically Context MKIV uses
> Unicode as a default and  multilingual support
> including right to left languages is available.
> The handling of graphics, while not nearly as
> handy as Scribus, is available. There are TeX
> user groups all over the globe including China.
Hello John,

thanks for your reply. I have used Xetex at some point which uses
Unicode natively (and is already a huge improvement over standard
Latex), but I still think that Latex is a little bit old fashioned. I
know that almost any formatting is possible, but the problem is the work
in order to do that: I guess for graphics it is usually much easier than
just do it in WYSIWYG style: Just arrange the graphics as you want them to.

Of course, Latex has the advantage that development can go into the
rendering engine and not into a GUI.

A combination of a markup language like Tex and a DTP software like
Scribus would have the advantage of using both parts where they are best
suited: Writing longer documents in Tex and more free designing in a DTP
software.

Well, this is just my personal opinion. I like Latex, too, but I would
gladly change it for a more (in my opinion) modern approach.