[scribus] RGB to CMYK for vector images

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Tue May 28 15:52:11 UTC 2013

On Tue, 28 May 2013 19:13:29 +0400
Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM, john Culleton wrote:
> > If I import an RGB  vector image created by e.g., Inkscape, (pdf,
> > eps, svg, whatever)and set up the Scribus pdf output with a CMYK
> > profile, am I guaranteed that the pdf output will be in CMYK format
> > and not RGB?I know I can use ImageMagick for such a transformation
> > but that approach loses the vector nature of the image.
>
> Is there a reason you are not using CMYK colors in Inkscape when
> saving SVG?
>
> Alexandre Prokoudine
> http://libregraphicsworld.org
>
> ___

While it is possible to use CMYK colors in Inkscape the program works in
RGB internally. And SVG always records colors in RGB form. That is part
of the SVG standard. Both the book by Kirsanov (page 122) and the book
by Tavmjong Bah (page 230) confirm this point. So an svg file from
Inkscape may have colors within the CMYK gamut but those colors would
be stored internally and in the svg file in RGB terms.

A related question would be, if Inkscape outputs a pdf file from a
session that has a similar CMYK profile (Fogra etc.) would that
document's colors  be expressed in RGB or CMYK in the output file?

I'll ask that question over there.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press