[scribus] scribus --version

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Mon May 27 21:24:38 UTC 2013

On Sun, 26 May 2013 10:03:31 +0100
Mick Crane <mick.crane at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> While I was ssh'd into my PC from vista I wondered if I had installed
> scribus already. "scribus --version" returned error
> No Xserver found on localhost
> Starting Xming on vista
>  "scribus --version " returns 3 helpful links followed by the version
>
> I know I wouldn't use scribus without X but why is it necessary to
> check for an Xserver just to print the version ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mick

Apparently Scribus checks for the X gui first, and then interprets its
command parameters. If I activate a terminal session on my KDE gui
then I get the version etc. when I type scribus -version. But from a
true command line I just get the X warning.

I suspect operating from an ssh is the culprit.

I thought all the Vista users drowned on the Titanic. My laptop came
with Vista and I couldn't wait to replace it with a more sensible
version of Windoze as well as a hard disk install of Knoppix. but to
each their own.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press