[scribus] Problem with alternate stylistics

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu May 23 19:54:24 UTC 2013

On Thu, 23 May 2013 15:30:01 -0400
john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> dijo:

>On Wed, 22 May 2013 14:32:41 -0700
>John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:

>> Thanks for that information. I can see now that TeX will not do for
>> my work.
>>
>And what is the problem you see? Perhaps there is a solution

There is a solution, but TeX is not it.

I am a linguist. At one time or another I have needed just about every
character in the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), including all
the diacriticals:

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/ipa.htm

Unless TeX can enter all the combining diacriticals on the above link
it will not do for me. In Scribus or LO Writer on Linux I can enter any
of them easily just by using the Unicode value for the combining
diacritical. Of course, I use the Junicode font for everything, since it
was created by Prof. Peter Baker for use in classics and linguistics and
has just about every character I might need, including ordinary
typesetting niceties like true small caps, old style numerals, swashes,
and lots more. But even if I convince TeX to use Junicode it still has
no way to enter all the diacriticals that I need.