[scribus] Problem with alternate stylistics

Gabriel Grosso ggrosso.dg at gmail.com
Wed May 22 22:12:27 UTC 2013

On 05/22/2013 02:37 PM, JLuc wrote:
> Le 22/05/2013 18:46, Gabriel Grosso a écrit :
>> Sorry that I can not follow conversations to perfection, my native
>> language is Spanish. I tested version 1.4 Scribus and
>> still can not come up with a way to put these stylistic alternates,
>> which I think is very useful when designing.
> Have you followed my last mail step by step till the last one,
> choosing a font featuring the wished glyphs ?
>
>> I remember in InDesign -without any intention of making stupid
>> comparisons-
> I curious : how would you qualify this one ?
>
>> placing such lower case numbers and stylistic alternatives (for
>> example, some fonts bring the number zero with a slash across it from
>> side
>> to side, and some other variants) were as simple as selecting it in
>> the paragraph style editor. I read the mails without
>> finding any solution and I wonder why this feature is apparently not
>> supported in Scribus.
>>
>> Another question regarding the handling of typography is the use of
>> small capitals. If I choose small capitals from the
>> menu, are they the true small capital lettersor only the capitals in
>> a lower size?
>>
>> Thank you very much to all and hope not to disturb
>>
>> Gabriel
>>
>> ___
>> Scribus Mailing List: scribus at lists.scribus.net
>> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
>> See also:
>> http://wiki.scribus.net
>> http://forums.scribus.net
>>

> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net
I do not mean to be arrogant or agressive, but what part of «i've got
this issue with every font that has alternate stylistics» you don't
understand? I do follow your steps, and the result is in the snapshot at
the end. I have no intention of generating a discussion here of what is
or what is not graphic design about. But i'm very sure it's not like
working with squares, and if the squares doesn't work maybe i change it
for circles, or triangles maybe, because it implicates a new level of
significance. A typographic choice isn't arbitrary (i suppose that you
can tell the difference between Comic Sans or Helvetica or whatever font
you like) and it's followed by what you want to communicate in that
certaint way to a predetermined public or receptor. I repeat, i do need
to work with a determined font to communicate a specific message. So
tell me, if you take a look at the snapshot above, how do you insert
that glyphs if Scribus doesn't know how to render it?

http://tinypic.com/r/33u94de/5

However, thanks for your time and patience.

Gabriel