[scribus] tone marks - first follow up

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed May 22 15:44:37 UTC 2013

JJJ> Having done that, repeat the exercise with an m. Now you will see
JJJ> that the syllabic diacritic is not centered under the m as it was
JJJ> with the n. For a further exercise, repeat with an l, which will
JJJ> further demonstrate the problem of centering the diacritic.

For OpenType, fonts are supposed to have attachment points for each
glyph which allow the combining glyphs properly to arrange.

When I tried you example, « n̩ m̩ l̩ » in my terminal emulator (using
DejaVu Sans Mono), all of the combined glyphs looked perfect.

They also look right with Dejavu Serif.

But fonts which lack attachment points (notably including all of the
non-Free fonts I could test) the results are very poor.

-JimC