[scribus] New Reader Impressions

john Culleton John at wexfordpress.com
Sun May 19 12:44:12 UTC 2013

On Fri, 10 May 2013 18:08:03 -0400
Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:

> On 05/10/2013 02:27 PM, Craig Bradney wrote:

> >> Well, here's the thing that's typically missed: you've got to have
> >> human resources to claim the money. Scribus team did some paid work
> >> for OIF in the past, but I'm not sure if any of that was done
> >> full-time. Most likely, not.
> >>
> >> Teams like GIMP's, Inkscape's and Scribus's are typicaly comprised
> >> of developers who already have a day job and are fine with it. Of
> >> course, it's entirely possible to find _new_ developers for paid
> >> work -- Blender and Krita are among such examples. But these new
> >> developers don't come out of blue. Typically they are part of the
> >> comminuty for at least a few years.
> >>
> >> Frankly, I've no idea if anyone in the Scribus community is a
> >> developer willing to work on it full time.
> >>
> >> I understand how this might not look sustainable enough to you, but
> >> that's the way things are.
> >>

> > If someone wants to spend some time on a new mediawiki theme for
> > either the main website or the main wiki, then we'd love to see a
> > demo on a site somewhere. Whatever little time we have goes into
> > code, not into pretty websites, so if someone does have time for
> > the websites, then cool. Take note, by doing so, you are signing up
> > for maintaining it for a bit too.
> >
> Maybe our motto should be: "Scribus - not as bad as our website would
> suggest!"
>
> :)
>
> Greg
>
> ___

A website should be findable, readable, navigable and most
important contain useful information. There are those who look
down on websites that are mostly text or lack the latest glitz
and glamour features. But the 1990 look is not a bad look. It is
just not fashionable at the present. A templated Wordpress site
may be fashionable at present. It is a fashion I don't choose to
follow for my own sites. To alter a movie title a bit "Show me the
Info."

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press