[scribus] tone marks

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri May 17 11:59:59 UTC 2013

On 05/16/2013 03:29 PM, scribus.mantis.mail_in at a-bc.net wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> thank you all for Scribus. I am new to the list but not to Scribus. We
> are publishing literacy materials for an African language. See my humble
> success story on your wiki in 2012 and/or look here:
>
> www.revue-gugu.org
>

> With recent development of the language, there are changes coming up for
> the orthography. It will mean (one or more) tone marks on certain vowels
> and possibly even certain consonants. (And it will help the population
> to read more fluently, because ambiguity will be reduced.)
>
> I have searched through some deep stuff, where your developers meet, and
> what I understand is, that some time, there will be an entire re-write
> of your "text-engine" or what you call that.
>
> I can see that a lot of people from Asia are working and hoping for some
> very complicated and wonderful functionality.
>

> All we would need is some help, for correctly placing those famous
> combining diacritical marks, listed as Unicode U+300 to U+036F. We only
> need a fraction of those, and our vowels are these:

Fontforge is a do-it-yourself tool for editing the glyphs for various
fonts.  http://fontforge.org/

You might also check the open font library http://openfontlibrary.org/

where you can check out fonts, but also perhaps contact some font
designers who could give you advice, maybe even some help.

Greg