[scribus] EBooks...

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sat May 11 12:56:11 UTC 2013

On 05/11/2013 12:17 AM, "Christoph Schäfer" wrote:

>> Gesendet: Freitag, 10. Mai 2013 um 17:25 Uhr
>> Von: Upscope <upscope at nwi.net>
>> Betreff: Re: [scribus] EBooks...
>>
>>> I briefly tried to build sigil 0.7x on Fedora, now that I could get
>>> qt5, but had various issues and gave up.
>>> I would suggest getting the older 0.62 and building it, which went on
>>> without problems. Also, Fedora now has a pre-built sigil in its
>>> repositories, so maybe Debian does too.
>>>
>>> Greg
>> Just a comment:
>>
>> I did this yesterday after experiencing the qt dependence problem Using
>> 0.62 worked fine. It read a .pub file my wife had correctly. I then used
>> Calibre to convert it to mobi. Looks good waitting for a report back if
>> Kindle can read it. My wife is a writer and has about 24 e-books on
>> Amazon and Barnes & Noble. She has beed paying someone to conver and
>> format them. I'm trying to learn how to do it from a .odt or .docx
>> document.
> Now, that's easy: Use the latest LibreOffice and Calibre. Load an ODT or DOCX (or WPD, whatever) file into LO and use the writer2epub extension to export an EPUB file, Use Calibre to convert it into any other ebook format.

I would add that the mobi files that calibre makes are perfectly
compatible with a Kindle, since I've put them on my Kindle directly by
USB as well as emailing through amazon. In their great generosity,
Amazon tells you that they will automatically convert whatever you email
to your device to mobi format. They also reserve the right to charge you
for that conversion.

Greg