[scribus] Adobe ends perpetual licenses

Peter Nermander peter at nermander.se
Fri May 10 08:07:51 UTC 2013

> For InDesign there are third party tools that can import a lot of file
> formats, including QuarkXPress and Publisher. I note that the import
> filters don't do a very good job, but see below.

But the companies selling those programs most likely have to pay
license fees to Adobe for having access to the file format
specifications if the ID file format. Who would pay such license fees
for all Scribus users?

The point is that nobody is saying "We don't want to make Scribus able
to read the Indesign file format", it's more "We can not make Scribus
able to read the Indesign file format because Adobe would not let us
have the specification for the file format without charging a fee for
each instance of Scribus installed."

If you provide source code for reading Indesign files I don't think
the developers would reject it as long as it is open source and not
likely to cause lawsuits from Adobe.

/Peter