[scribus] Adobe ends perpetual licenses

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Fri May 10 00:23:54 UTC 2013

On 05/09/2013 06:42 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:52 AM, Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:
>> On 05/09/2013 05:43 PM, Antonio Roberts wrote:
>> As I understand it, Adobe will still sell software, but without updates, as
>> an alternative to this subscription plan
> No, they won't. It's all just subscriptions now.

Except in the real world:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/05/08/Adobe-photoshop-cc

****paste job begins****

      What happens to ACR support for CS6?

As Tom Hogarty states on Adobe's Lightroom blog
<http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/05/adobe-camera-raw-8-support-for-photoshop-cc-and-photoshop-cs6.html>,
CS6 users will gain the camera compatibility updates set to arrive on
June 17 in ACR 8. These updates, however, will /not/ include any of the
new features seen in the Photoshop CC demo or Lightroom 5 Beta release,
such as the Upright tool, Advanced Healing Brush or Radial Gradient
Filter. Adobe is not providing a timeline for how long new camera
support will continue for the ACR version of Photoshop CS6.

      Can I still buy Lightroom?

Yes. Lightroom, while available as part of the Creative Cloud bundle,
can still be purchased as a standalone piece of software at $149 for new
users and $79 for owners of any previous version. Adobe Acrobat can be
purchased as a standalone title as well.

      Can I still buy Photoshop CS6?

Photoshop CS6 is still currently available for a downloadable purchase
here
<http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_creativesuite6.html?start=20>
on Adobe's site.

****paste job ends****

It isn't like they can make all of their copies of CS6 disappear or
destroy them, so they will be out there, and still working, and still
able to be purchased.

I also think this Q&A is notable:

*/Were you expecting such a negative response from the photographic
community?/*

We expected a higher degree of this type of reaction from the hobbyist
photographic community because currently there's not a lot of
photography-specific value in our subscription products.

"hobbyist", of course, is also the long-time appellation for the Linux
community, so they are drawing a line between the real professionals out
there and the casual hobbyist users.

Greg