[scribus] Adobe ends perpetual licenses

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Wed May 8 05:31:33 UTC 2013

> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 08. Mai 2013 um 04:55 Uhr
> Von: "John Jason Jordan" <johnxj at comcast.net>
> An: Scribus <scribus at lists.scribus.info>
> Betreff: [scribus] Adobe ends perpetual licenses
>
> To use Adobe products in the future customers will have to pay a
> monthly fee, enforced through the cloud.

Interesting, isn't it? It seems they are happy to lose millions of customers worldwide who haven't access to broadband connections or who operate production computers without access to the internet out of security concerns. We'll see how long this will last. I remember the introduction of a pricing scheme for train fares modelled after flight tickets by Germany's major railway provider Deutsche Bahn several years ago. It was an abysmal failure, and after a wave of customer protests and boycotts, Deutsche Bahn pedaled back. In other news, Microsoft announced the release of "Windows Blue" much earlier than planned, which is widely seen as a desparate attempt to correct the failure of Windows 8. My employer recently bought a new laptop for me, and it was no problem to get one with Windows 7, because, we have been told, Microsoft tacitly made Win 7 licenses available again, as Win 8 was rejected by corporate customers.

Adobe, it seems, still needs to learn some lessons the hard way. Meanwhile, other companies, as well as Open Source projects can lean back and smile.

Christoph