[scribus] Ink Coverage Preview differs from Acrobat Pro

Jonathan Kreider jonathan.kreider at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 04:32:43 UTC 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM, john Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 06:35:11 +0100
> "Christoph Schäfer" <christoph-schaefer at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi Jonathan,
> >
> > > Thanks to all those that helped me get the print preview working in
> > > Scribus....
> > >
> > > Now another issue.  I was hoping that the ink coverage preview
> > > facility in Scribus would be good enough that I wouldn't need the
> > > pre-press capabilities of Acrobat Pro.  However, the results
> > > Scribus gives are dramatically different than what Acrobat Pro
> > > gives.  Where Scribus sees maximum ink coverage of 160%, Acrobat
> > > sees ink coverage of 260% to 300%.
> > >
> > > Is this a known issue?  Am I doing something wrong?  Given Adobe's
> > > position
> > > in the industry, I feel that I should trust the Acrobat pro results.
> > >
> > > Any help would be most appreciated.
> >
> > It would be easier to help if we knew what you're actually trying to
> > do/achieve. Are you trying to operate a printing machine from within
> > Scribus? Which PS printer driver do you have installed? If it's not
> > Adobe's generic PS printer driver, which one is it?. Does this driver
> > show up in Acrobat, and did you actually select it? There are so many
> > unknown parameters that it's hard to answer your questions.
> >
> > Christoph
> >
> > ___
> > Scribus Mailing List: scribus at lists.scribus.net
> > Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> > See also:
> > http://wiki.scribus.net
> > http://forums.scribus.net
>
>  use a variant of a common icc profile to make sure that the
> requirement of LSI (no more than 240% coverage) is observed.
> Here it is:
> http://wexfordpress.net/SWOPcoated5_240.icc
>

> --
> John Culleton
> Wexford Press
> Free list of books for self-publishers:
> http://wexfordpress.net/shortlist.html
> PDF e-book: "Create Book Covers with Scribus"
> available at http://www.booklocker.com/books/4055.html
>
> ___
> Edit your options or unsubscribe:
> See also:
> http://wiki.scribus.net
> http://forums.scribus.net

Does this mean that if I use the same profile in Scribus and in Acrobat
that I should get similar results?

@Christoph - > What are the variables that you are talking about?  I
understand that there is a whole chain of processing that gets done during
the printing process, but that is completely invisible to me.  Is there a
web site that has a tutorial on this that describes the process?

What I'm trying to achieve is sending a pdf for a circular (flier) to a
commecial printer and have the confidence that the printed results will
match my intentions.  This printing company has a "Prinergy" setup that
does Gray Component Replacement, Sets total ink coverage to 280%, Black
Start @30%, Black Max @90% and Black Strength @ 50%.  At least that's what
the printer people told me.  I understand this only in a general sort of
way, but not really in terms of how it will affect the final product (which
is printed, but I've not seen a hard copy of).

It could be that I'm worrying needlessly about this.  It just seems to me
that if I send the printer a pdf that needs less tweaking by their print
system, then I will be more likely to have the results match my intentions.

--
Thanks,
Jonathan Kreider