[scribus] The first Malayalam publication prepared with Scribus

"Christoph Schäfer" christoph-schaefer at gmx.de
Fri Jul 26 04:37:22 UTC 2013

> Gesendet: Donnerstag, 25. Juli 2013 um 19:02 Uhr
> Von: DAKF <dakf.list at gmail.com>
> Betreff: Re: [scribus] The first Malayalam publication prepared with Scribus
>
> On 25 July 2013 22:08, JLuc <jluc at no-log.org> wrote:
>
> > So i understand (ale helped me) that you mean harbuzz is patched.
> >
> Yes, it is  using a patched earlier version of harfbuzz. However, patching
> is for correcting certain rendering issue for Malayalam and Odiya. Now, I
> hope such issues might have corrected in official release of Harfbuzz

Hi Anil,

Before there can be any consideration of including your great work into trunk, please make sure that a) no ICU dependency remains and b) you're 100% sure that Scribus can be built against Vanilla Harfbuzz without losing any functionality. Otherwise you and the development team will end up endlessly patching back and forth.

It would also help to add Harfbuzz in a way that others who'd like to add support for, e.g., Arabic or Hebrew can build upon your work by implementing an abstraction layer.

Many, many thanks for your efforts!

Christoph